Department of Mathematics
About The Department of Mathematics
Mathematics is deeply rooted in all sciences and has a leading role in all engineering streams. The Department of Mathematics came into existence way back in 1997 with the inception of the Faculty of Engineering &Technology in the campus of the V.B.S. Purvanchal University, Jaunpur. The Department has ever been striving to provide quality technical education with core support to all engineering Departments. The Department is a good center of teaching, learning and research as many articles of the faculty members have been published in Science Citation Indexed (SCI) and peer reviewed journals. The Department keeps in pace with the advances in technology by providing basic knowledge to the students enrolled in the B. Tech and B. Pharm, MCA and MBA programmes. Swami Vivekanand central library and UNSIET Library both have a large collection of good books and e-books on Mathematics. The Department usually provides some extra classes to weak students. The Department adopts some modern teaching techniques to explain the mathematical concepts geometrically rather than through mathematical equations. The Department has highly qualified teaching faculty from reputed institute/colleges like IIT Roorkee and MNNIT Allahabad and TDPG college, Jaunpur.
Vision of the Department
The vision of the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Engineering & Technology, V.B.S. Purvanchal University, Jaunpur is as follows:
- Department is to be recognized nationally and internationally for its excellence in teaching and research.
- Department should be remembered in providing excellent Mathematical skills to its UG and PG students.
- Departmental is to create a platform for encouraging outcome based research environment.
Mission of the Department
The mission of the Department is as follows:
- To excel in providing high quality Mathematical skills to undergraduate and post graduate students.
- To attend the mathematical needs of the institute and the community.
- To provide students (UG/PG) with a wide spectrum of valuable courses with rigorous training/tutorials that enables them to pursue their future.
- To make Engineers to develop the mathematical thoughts and applying it to solve complex engineering problems, designing mathematical models to meet the requirements.
- To encourage students and faculty members of the Department to be the exposures of different research environments in India and abroad.
Educational Objectives of the Department
- The program prepares students to teach Mathematics at the institute of higher education with gaining a strong basis on mathematical skills. The major educational objectives are:
- To use technology as significant aid in mathematics learning.
- To revisit the fundamental concepts principles of the discipline and strengthen them.
- To develop inter-disciplinary approach of learning between Mathematics and other disciplines.
- To encourage collaborative learning through group activities, hands-on learning and concretizing mathematical concepts.
- To provide motivation and support in research and development.
Outcomes of the Department
The Program Outcomes (POs) of the Department are as follows:
- Understanding Ability Enhancement: To enable students to read and demonstrate an understanding of mathematical and/or statistical research literature.
- Problem Solving Ability Enhancement: Students will be able to identify mathematical and computational methods in order to solve comprehensive problems.
- Deductive Thinking: Students will be able to read and write logical arguments in order to prove advanced mathematical results.
- Effective Communication: Students will be able to effectively communicate mathematical concepts, problems and their solutions in written and oral form.
- Social Service: To learn to apply Mathematics in real life situations aiming at service to the society.
About the Department
- Year of establishment 1997 (when Faculty of Engineering & Technology established in the campus of V.B.S. Purvanchal University, Jaunpur)
- Is the Department part of a School/Faculty of the university? Yes, it is a part of Faculty of Engineering & Technology.
- Names of programmes offered (UG, PG, M.Phil., Ph.D., Integrated Masters; Integrated Ph.D., D. Sc., D.Litt., etc.) Individually the department does not offer any degree but supports to the Departments which run B. Tech, MBA and MCA courses in the campus.
- Examination System: Annual/Semester/Trimester/Choice Based Credit System Semester system and initiative has been taken for Choice Based Credit System by the University in 2016.
- Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments B. Tech, MBA and MCA courses
- Number of teaching posts sanctioned, filled and actual (Professors/Associate Professors/Asst. Professors/others)
|Sanctioned||Filled||Actual (including CAS & MPS)|
|Asst. Professors||03*||01 (Permanent)+02 Contract||03|
*At present, 02 Lecturers (01 OBC and 01 General) on contract basis are working against two posts created by the self finance scheme while 01 Assistant Professor (OBC) is working against single permanent post created by state Govt.
- Faculty profile with name, qualification, designation, area of specialization, experience and research under guidance
|Qualification||Designation||Specialization||No. of Years of
|No. of Ph.D./M.Phil. students guided for the last 4 years|
|Dr. Raj Kumar||M.Sc., Ph.D.,
Prof. & Head
|>12 (UG & PG)
3.5 (below UG)
|Dr. Uday Raj Prajapati||M.Sc., Ph.D.||Lecturer
|16 (UG )
|Dr. Manoj Kumar
|>14 (UG )
- List of senior Visiting Fellows, adjunct faculty, emeritus professors
Following visiting faculties were invited for special lectures and BOS in the Department
- Dr. Devendra Kumar
Department of English, Faculty of Arts
- Dr. Anurag Singh
Faculty of Management Studies, BHU, Varanasi
- Dr. Tanuj Nandan
Associate Professor and Head
School of Management Studies, Motilal National Institute of Technology Allahabad, India
- Prof. S.N. Pandey
Formally, Professor and Head
Department of Applied Sciences,MMM Engineering College, Gorakhpur-273010, India
E .mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. T. Som
Professor in the Department of Mathematical Sciences, IIT BHU, Varanasi
E .mail: email@example.com
- Dr. Shefali Nandan
Department of Commerce and Business Economics,
University of Allahabad, Allahabad, India
- Late Prof. O.P. Singh
Ex. Professor and Head,
Department of Mathematical Sciences, IIT BHU, Varansi
- H.S. Shukla
Professor in Mathematics & Ex. Dean Faculty of Science
Deen Dayal Upadhyay University, Gorakhpur
743G, Professor lane, Ramjanki Nagar, Basartpur Gorakhpur
- Dr. S.N. Pandey
Associate Professor and Ex. Head
Department of Mathematics, Motilal National Institute of Technology Allahabad, India
- Dr. S.U. Siddique
Associate Professor and Head
Department of Mathematics, HBTI Kanpur, India
- Dr. Sarvesh Kumar
Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (Department of Atomic Energy)
Thiruvanthapuram, Keral, India
- Sushil Kumar
Department of Humanities and Mathematics
Sardar Vallabh Bhai National Institute of Technology, Surat, India
- G.C. Sharma
Ex.Professor and Head
Department of Mathematics
Kandari Campus, B.R. Ambedkar University University Agra U.P.
- Percentage of classes taken by temporary faculty – program-wise information
15-20% in B. Tech.
- Program-wise Student Teacher Ratio 150:1 in Tech.
- Number of faculty with ongoing projects from
- a) National 01 Faculty, 2 minor research projects are sanctioned by the University under UGC grant of Rs. 1,55,000 funded for XII plan
- c) Total grants received. Sanction amount is 1,55,000/-
Give the names of the funding agencies, project title and grants received project-wise.
|Name of Sponsoring/funding agency|
|On Exact Solutions of (3+1)-Burgers’ Equations using Similarity Transformations Method||Minor||12||95,000||University sanctioned under Innovation & Research Grant of UGC for XII plan|
|Closed Form Solutions of Natural Convection in a Rectangular Enclosure by Using Similarity Transformations Method||Minor||18||60,000||University sanctioned under Innovation & Research Grant of UGC for XII plan|
- Departmental projects funded by DST-FIST; UGC-SAP/CAS, DPE; DBT, ICSSR, AICTE, etc.; total grants received. 2 minor research projects are sanctioned by the University under UGC grant of Rs. 1,55,000 funded for XII plan
- Number of papers published in peer reviewed journals (national / international) 15
- Number listed in International Database (For g. Web of Science, Scopus, Humanities International Complete, Dare Database – International Social Sciences Directory, EBSCO host, etc.)
- Citation Index – range / average Research Gate Score of Dr. Raj Kumar 9.56
- Impact Factor – range / average Detail is attached in faculty self assessment report
- h-index 4, Citations 34 (since 2011)
- d) Any other (please specify)
Reviewer in a SCI Journal Computers & Mathematics with Applications (Elsevier)
Life Member Ship of Indian Mathematical Society
Annual membership of World Physics Association (WPA) From Nov. 2015 to Dec. 2016
- Seminars/ Conferences/Workshops organized and the source of funding (national / international) with details of outstanding participants, if any.
|From||To||Title||Sponsored by||From institutes
|1.||Nov. 10, 2010||Nov. 13, 2010||Better Engineer
|Self Financed||Faculty of Engineering & Tech. VBS PU Jaunpur
|2.||28 Feb. 2014||28 Feb. 2014||National Science Day
|Purvanchal University Jaunpur||VBS Purvanchal University Jaunpur|
|3||26 Nov., 2015||30 Nov. 2015||Numerical Computation Using MATLAB
|UGC XII plan||Faculty of Engineering & Tech. VBS PU Jaunpur
|4||22 July 2016||28 July 2016||Numerical Techniques and Programming in MATLAB (Lecture Series*)||V.B.S. P.U. Jaunpur||Faculty of Engineering & Tech. VBS PU Jaunpur
|5||17 Sept. 2016||18 Sept.||Communication Skills
|V.B.S. P.U. Jaunpur||Faculty of Engineering & Tech. VBS PU Jaunpur
* All the lectures were uploaded on You Tube and corresponding link is provided at the University website. Besides, concerned study material and tutorials are given to students and uploaded them on the University website. During this lecture series two E-Modules were developed covering the syllabus of two units of Numerical techniques of Mathematics-III paper of B. Tech courses. Dr. Raj Kumar played his invaluable role for successful completion of the lecture series.
- Code of ethics for research followed by the departments As per standard norms
- Diversity of staff NIL
|Percentage of faculty who are graduates|
|of the same university||66%|
|from other universities within the State|
|from universities from other States||33%|
|from universities outside the country|
- Number of faculty who were awarded M. Phil., Ph.D., D.Sc. and D. Lit. during the assessment period Raj Kumar for Ph.D. (Nov. 2014)
- Present details of departmental infrastructural facilities with regard to
- a) Library Central library & Engg. library provide services to students
- b) Internet facilities for staff and students Yes
- c) Total number of class rooms 08
- d) Class rooms with ICT facility 03
- Does the department obtain feedback from
- Faculty on curriculum as well as teaching-learning-evaluation? If yes, how does the department utilize the feedback?
Yes, teachers always try to improve their teaching according to the suggestions rendered by the eminent experts in the required field
- Give details of student enrichment programmes (special lectures/ workshops /seminar) involving external experts. Details are as follows:
- A lecture series on “Numerical Techniques and Programming in MATLAB” was organized by the department during 22-28th July 2016. The invited speakers were Dr. Sarvesh Kumar, Associate Professor, Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology, Department of Atomic Energy Thiruvanthapuram, Kerla and Dr. Shushil Kumar, Department of Mathematics from SVNIT, Surat. All the lectures were uploaded on You Tube and corresponding link is provided at the University website. Besides, concerned study material and tutorials are given to students and uploaded them on the University website. During this lecture series two E-Modules were developed covering the syllabus of two units of Numerical techniques of Mathematics-III paper of B. Tech courses. Dr. Raj Kumar played his invaluable role for successful completion of the lecture series.
- A workshop on “Communication Skills” is organized by the Department during 17-18th Sep. 2016 for all UG and PG students of the campus. The invited speakers were Dr. Tanuj Nandan, Associate Prof. & Head, Department of Management Studies, Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad and Dr. Shefali Nandan, Assistant Professor, Department of Commerce and Business Administration, University of Allahabad, Allahabad, Dr. Devendra Kumar, Associate Professor, Department of English, Dr. Anurag Singh, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Management Studies both from BHU, Varanasi.
- Special lectures related with course/career counseling were arranged for B. Tech Students by the eminent professors from other universities/ reputed institutes of India, notably Dr. Sarvesh Kumar, Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Space Science & Technology, Department of Atomic Energy Thiruvanthapuram, Kerla (3-4 Dec’2014) on the topic: Linear Algebra, ODE’s and Numerical Integrations, and Late Prof. O. P. Singh, Ex Head, Department of Mathematical Sciences, IIT BHU, Varansi (9 April Dec’2014) on the topic: Development of Calculus.
- List the teaching methods adopted by the faculty for different programmes.
We do classroom teaching/interaction with students though ICT also. We provide hard copy of Tutorials to the students. We usually conduct seminar /presentation by students.
- How does the department ensure that programme objectives are constantly met and learning outcomes are monitored? Getting feedback from the students.
- Highlight the participation of students and faculty in extension activities.
- Deptt. plays his important role participating actively as a Deputy Coordinator of a committee constituted for making proposal and implementation under “स्वच्छ भारत अभियान” by the VBS Purvanchal University Jaunpur w.e.f. 29/05/2015
- The B. Tech students actively participate in NSS. The Faculty of Engg. & Technology has three units of NSS containing 300 students. Dr. Raj Kumar (Head of Deptt.) is programme officer of NSS unit-III.
- Deptt. Participates in “एक छात्र एक पेड़ अभियान’’ through plantation and caring of plants in VBS PU Campus to upgrade its greenery.
- B. Tech Students provides fully free teaching to financially poor students from nearby villages of the campus since Feb. 2014. They have initiated a free coaching Institute PRERNA running in Panchayat Bhawan at a neighboring village of VBS PU Campus. Coaching enriched awareness in nearby villages. More than 250 students got benefit from the coaching. Feedback of students and guardians is attached in PRERNA booklet. Dr. Raj Kumar (Head of Deptt.) works as a coordinator of the coaching.
- Give details of “beyond syllabus scholarly activities” of the department.
To provide extra classes of GATE/NET preparation to students/ Science day celebration (28 Feb’2015 ) followed by extra curriculum activities like quiz, group discussions on social issues, Poster, competition etc.
- State whether the programme/ department is accredited/graded by other agencies? If yes, give details. NO
- Briefly highlight the contributions of the department in generating new knowledge, basic or applied.
Deptt. actively plays his role to encourage the students in making a well strategy for preparation of competitions/ career.
- Detail five major Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Challenges (SWOC) of the department.
- Open electives in syllabus are interdisciplinary.
- At present, we have 4 smart classrooms in engineering building equipped with modern facilities.
- We provide Internet facility to students in classroom and in hostels.
- Feed back by students is positive.
- Being a self finance faculty of VBS PU and intake of 360 from six branches of B. Tech, we collect Rs. 2,16,00000/-from admission fee of students. Financially, we are strong.
- Department faculty provides Tutorials and Study material to the students. This material is also uploaded on university website. This activity works as a booster in semester system.
- Department provides some extra classes for GATE/NET preparations to B. Tech. students.
- Students teacher ratio is poor.
- We have poor connectivity from other developed places of the country.
- In state university system, we have to face Government interferences/ dependence causes withhold the academic improvements many times, the post regularity and continuation in the Engineering faculty is an example of it.
- Shortage of regular teaching faculty causes a lot of administrative responsibilities on regular teachers. It affects their efficiency. Only one permanent teacher is appointed in the department who is working at minimum salary without getting a single promotion through CAS. One post of Associate Professor in the Department is vacant from last 15 years.
- Our contractual teachers in the department are working on 35000/- fix salary. This is a poor salary structure of our campus.
- We cannot be permitted to enroll a research scholar having teaching experience of UG level since ordinance of Ph.D states that a research supervisor must have teaching experience of 5 years at PG level.
- The Purvanchal University campus is located in rural backward area. If the University appoints highly qualified permanent teachers then they can provide technical and professional education to the locality residing in the Purvanchal zone of UP. Thus, the citizen of this area may become well educated.
- Extension activity beyond the syllabus: Even our campus is situated in a backward area of UP. To enhance awareness in nearby villages, our UG students are teaching for welfare of financially weak students from nearby villages since February, 2014. They have established a free coaching “PRERNA” at a neighboring village DEVKALI of VBS PU Campus. More than 250 students got benefit from the coaching. A good collection of feedback from students and their guardians is attached in PRERNA booklet. Coaching runs under the guidance of Dr. Raj Kumar, Head of the Department. Department actively cooperates in running Remedial Coaching funded by UGC especially for SC/ST/OBC and Minority students. The coaching improved the level of knowledge of our students and hence increased the number of pass out students than previous years. Deptt. plays his important role participating actively as a Deputy Coordinator of a committee constituted for making proposal and implementation under “स्वच्छ भारत अभियान” by the VBS Purvanchal University Jaunpur w.e.f. 29/05/2015. The B. Tech students actively participate in NSS. The Faculty of Engg. & Technology has three units of NSS containing 300 students. Raj Kumar (Head of Deptt.) is programme officer of NSS unit-III. Deptt. Participates in “एक छात्र एक पेड़ अभियान’’ through plantation and caring of plants in VBS PU Campus to upgrade its greenery.
- Placement of our students is now poor.
- Presence of large number of B. Tech Colleges in India.
- We comparatively get a poor educated stuff of B. Tech. students. So we provide them extra classes on Sunday/Holidays, Remedial Coaching for SC/ST/OBC and Minority funded by UGC. We also get good result of it.
Future plans of the department:
- Overall development of our campus
- Department has planned to apply AICTE/DST funded major research project to create research environment in engineering.
- In coming academic year i.e. in 2017, department is going to organize a national conference.